One of the side-effects of prostate treatment is bladder incontinence. 6-8% of men develop incontinence after prostate surgery (Cleveland Clinic), so you are not alone! We answer some of the common questions about it below!
What is Incontinence?
Why does the prostate influence urination?
How bad is it and for how long?
What can you do for bladder leaks?
- Lifestyle Modification
– Healthy diet that avoids bladder irritants (acidic foods, drinks, caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods)
– Correct fluid intake. Both too much and too little is bad!
– Maintain a healthy body weight and ensure you are physically active.
– Quit smoking!
- Pelvic Therapists. There are many doctors and physiotherapists that specialize in pelvic health. Incontinence can often be successfully managed with the correct treatment plan!
- Good absorbent products. Choose a product that is appropriate for your level of leakage. Disposable pads and adult nappies are well known to most people. Our personal favorite for light to moderate leakage (50ml or less per leak) is washable absorbent underwear (which is why we stock them!). They look and feel like regular underwear but have a built-in absorbent pad. This pad is specially treated so prevents odor and skin irritation!
- Medical and surgical treatment. If bladder control is excessive or persists after 1 year post-surgery, there are medical and surgical options available. Ask your doctors for more information on the treatment that is appropriate for your concerns.
Would you like more information on the management of bladdder leaks? We are giving away our E-Guide FREE!
Just click below!
If you would like to join our Smartunderwear Family and get relevent information, discounts, “members-only” sales etc, please fill in your details below! We are offering 10% off your first order when you subscribe!
Join Our Mailing List And Get 10% Off Your First Order
Complete Your Details Below Now: